Current:Home > FinanceFlorida prosecutor says 17-year-old suspect in Halloween fatal shootings will be charged as adult -NextFrontier Finance
Florida prosecutor says 17-year-old suspect in Halloween fatal shootings will be charged as adult
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 22:33:06
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — A 17-year-old suspect in a shooting that killed two people and wounded seven others during a Halloween celebration that drew 75,000 revelers to the streets of downtown Orlando, Florida, last week has been charged as an adult, a prosecutor said Monday.
Jaylen Edgar was charged as an adult with two second-degree murder charges and a count of attempted murder, though the case will be presented before a grand jury, which could decide to up the charges to first-degree murder, said State Attorney Andrew Bain.
“This decision was not made lightly, and only after reviewing all the available evidence,” Bain said at a news conference in Orlando.
Edgar is accused of opening fire during a Halloween street celebration that drew tens of thousands of costumed revelers to downtown Orlando’s bar and restaurant district early Friday. Besides the two men who were killed, an additional seven people were wounded and a woman was trampled as people fled in terror, according to the Orlando Police Department.
One of the Halloween celebrants killed and another who was injured were students at the University of Central Florida in Orlando.
Edgar was tackled at the scene by some of the 100 police officers who were patrolling downtown Orlando.
Among the factors that went into the decision to charge Edgar as an adult were “the brazen nature of the crime” and the fact that multiple people were shot, the prosecutor said.
“To shoot into a massive crowd like that shows a total disregard for life and the only recourse is to charge the defendant as an adult because it fits the egregious nature of the crime,” Bain said. “This was a blatant execution in the middle of our streets, and so that’s something that we can’t have in our community.”
There was no online court docket for Edgar so it couldn’t be determined if he had an attorney. Moreover, the case originated in juvenile court, where records are not public. An email to the Orange County Public Defender’s office seeking information was not immediately returned Monday.
Bain wouldn’t disclose whether authorities knew of a motive and said detectives were still determining how he obtained the handgun.
The Halloween celebration, which is one of the biggest events in downtown Orlando each year, took place about 10 miles (16 kilometers) from Orlando’s tourist district, and it primarily attracts central Florida residents.
In response to the shootings, Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer last Friday issued a local state of emergency for the downtown entertainment area. Under the weeklong order, alcohol sales will end at midnight, and a curfew will be enforced from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m.
During past Halloween celebrations, police would close off downtown streets and use dogs to screen for weapons as people walked past entry points, but they stopped doing that after Florida lawmakers passed a permit-less concealed carry law in 2023.
veryGood! (986)
Related
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Angels pitcher Ben Joyce throws fastest pitch of 2024 MLB season at 104.5 mph
- Tour de France results, standings: Tadej Pogačar extends lead with Stage 14 win
- Donald Trump appeared to be the target of an assassination attempt. Here’s what to know
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- The Most Expensive Farm Bill Ever Is Stalled, Holding Back Important Funds Aimed at Combating the Climate Crisis
- Globetrotting butterflies traveled 2,600 miles across the Atlantic, stunned scientists say
- Melania Trump releases statement after Trump assassination attempt: A monster ... attempted to ring out Donald's passion
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Shannen Doherty, ‘Beverly Hills, 90210’ star, dies at 53
Ranking
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- One Tech Tip: Protecting yourself against SIM swapping
- Trump says bullet pierced the upper part of my right ear when shots were fired at Pennsylvania rally
- Chuck Lorre vows 'Georgie & Mandy's First Marriage' success, even if TV marriage is doomed
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Here's What the Dance Moms Cast Is Up to Now
- Burkina Faso bans homosexuality and associated practices as Africa's coup belt lurches away from the West
- 3 Colorado poultry workers test presumptively positive for bird flu
Recommendation
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Nuggets top draft pick DaRon Holmes tears Achilles, likely out for season, per reports
Minnesota Republican Tayler Rahm drops out to clear path for Joe Teirab in competitive US House race
Morgan Wallen reschedules Tampa, Charlotte concerts due to illness: See new dates
Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
How many points did Caitlin Clark score? Fever star has double-double vs. Mercury
Barbora Krejcikova wins Wimbledon for her second Grand Slam trophy by beating Jasmine Paolini
Donald Trump appeared to be the target of an assassination attempt. Here’s what to know