Current:Home > ContactOliver James Montgomery-Egypt sets a presidential election for December with el-Sissi likely to stay in power until 2030 -NextFrontier Finance
Oliver James Montgomery-Egypt sets a presidential election for December with el-Sissi likely to stay in power until 2030
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 19:29:26
CAIRO (AP) — Egypt will hold a presidential election over three days in December,Oliver James Montgomery officials announced Monday, with President Abdel Fattah el-Sissi highly likely to remain in power until 2030.
Waleed Hamza, the chairman of the National Election Authority, said the vote will take place on Dec. 10-12, with a runoff on Jan. 8-10 if no candidate secures more than 50% of the vote. Egyptian expatriates will vote on Dec. 1-3, and in the runoff on Jan. 5-7, he added.
A handful of politicians have already announced their bids to run for the country’s highest post, but none poses a serious challenge to el-Sissi, who has been in power since 2014 and has faced criticism from the West over his country’s human rights record.
El-Sissi, a former defense minister, led the military overthrow of an elected but divisive Islamist president in 2013 amid street protests against his one-year rule. Since then, authorities have launched a major crackdown on dissent. Thousands of government critics have been silenced or jailed, mainly Islamists but also many prominent secular activists, including many of those behind the 2011 uprising that toppled longtime autocrat Hosni Mubarak.
El-Sissi has not announced his candidacy yet.
He was first elected in 2014 and reelected in 2018 for a second four-year term. Constitutional amendments, passed in a referendum in 2019, added two years to his second term, and allowed him to run for a third, six-year term.
In the 2018 vote, el-Sissi faced only a little-known politician who joined the race at the last minute to spare the government the embarrassment of a one-candidate election after several hopefuls were forced out or arrested.
Among the presidential hopefuls in the December election is Ahmed Altantawy, a former lawmaker, who has repeatedly complained of harassment by security agencies of his campaign staff. He also claimed that authorities have spied on him through cutting-edge technology.
Others who announced their bid include Abdel-Sanad Yamama, head of the Wafd party, one of Egypt’s oldest; Gameela Ismail, head of the liberal Dostour, or Constitution, party; and Farid Zahran, head of the Egyptian Social Democratic Party.
The board of trustees of National Dialogue, a forum announced by el-Sissi last year to help chart Egypt’s roadmap through recommendations, called for reforms to ensure a “multicandidate and competitive” presidential election.
In a statement last week, the trustees demanded that all candidates and opposition parties be allowed to interact directly with the public.
“The state institutions and agencies are required to keep an equal distance from all presidential candidates so as to safeguard their legal and constitutional rights as well as equal opportunity to all of them,” the trustees said.
The board of trustees also called on the government to accelerate the release of critics held in pretrial detention and to amend the relevant legislation, which it said established “a sort of penal punishment without a court verdict.”
veryGood! (1)
Related
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Acupuncture is used to treat many conditions. Is weight loss one?
- George Carlin is coming back to life in new AI-generated comedy special
- Greta Gerwig Has a Surprising Response to Jo Koy’s Barbie Joke
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Women make up majority of law firm associates for the first time: Real change is slow.
- Kaley Cuoco Says She Wanted to Strangle a Woman After Being Mom-Shamed
- AI-generated ads using Taylor Swift's likeness dupe fans with fake Le Creuset giveaway
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Jessica Biel Proves Son Is Taking After Dad Justin Timberlake's Musical Interest in Rare Photo
Ranking
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Best TD celebrations of 2023 NFL season: Dolphins' roller coaster, DK Metcalf's sign language
- See how every college football coach in US LBM Coaches Poll voted in final Top 25 rankings
- Raptors' Darko Rajaković goes on epic postgame rant, gets ringing endorsement from Drake
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Taliban detains dozens of women in Afghanistan for breaking hijab rules with modeling
- Pete Carroll out as Seattle Seahawks coach in stunning end to 14-year run leading team
- Raptors' Darko Rajaković goes on epic postgame rant, gets ringing endorsement from Drake
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Christie ends his presidential bid in an effort to blunt Trump’s momentum before Iowa’s GOP caucuses
Natalia Grace's Adoptive Mom Cynthia Mans Speaks Out After Docuseries Revelation
Sen. Bob Menendez seeks dismissal of criminal charges. His lawyers say prosecutors ‘distort reality’
What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
Man armed with assault rifle killed after opening fire on Riverside County sheriff’s deputies
Ronnie Long, Black man wrongfully convicted and imprisoned for 44 years, gets $25 million settlement and apology from city
Kentucky Derby purse raised to $5 million for 150th race in May