Current:Home > InvestMassachusetts firefighters continue to battle stubborn brush fires across state -NextFrontier Finance
Massachusetts firefighters continue to battle stubborn brush fires across state
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-07 01:59:41
BOSTON (AP) — Firefighters in Massachusetts are continuing to battle stubborn brush fires across the state with officials urging residents to take precautions to help avoid sparking new blazes.
Hundreds of acres (hectares) in the greater Boston area have already burned in the past week with new fires cropping up in the western and central parts of the state.
In Massachusetts, an average of 15 wildland fires are reported each October. This year, the month’s total capped at about 200 — an increase of about 1,200% over the average, rivalling the monthly numbers usually seen in the traditional early spring brush fire season.
About 100 fire were reported over the last seven days of the month and preliminary information indicates that all of them started with human activity, according to fire officials. The fires prompted some communities last week to cancel school classes and Halloween activities.
On Friday, the National Weather Service declared a “red flag” warning for much of eastern Massachusetts. The warning means that the region, which has been experiencing dry and warm weather, is at high risk of fire.
Fire officials have reminded residents that open burning is prohibited statewide through January and in many communities year-round.
They also urged residents to avoid outdoor cooking and heating and to use caution when using power equipment like lawnmowers and leaf blowers. The engines can become hot enough to ignite dry leaves and grass.
Fire officials also cautioned against tossing cigarette butts, matches, or other smoking materials over the edge of a balcony, stub them out on stairs or railings, or toss them in dry vegetation or debris.
On Saturday, a Boston man was arrested in connection to a brush fire in Milford, about 40 miles (64 kilometers) west of Boston. The man was charged with setting fire to another’s land and burning land, trees, lumber and produce.
More than a quarter of this year’s brush and wildland fires took place in October, according to Chief Fire Warden David Celino of the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation. The October fires have also accounted for more than half of the 1,158 acres (469 hectares) burned so far this year.
“The weather conditions and dry surface fuels that have contributed to these fast-moving fires are expected to continue in the days ahead,” Celino said in a press release. “Any outdoor fire will grow quickly, become difficult to control, and require numerous firefighting resources.”
State Fire Marshal Jon Davine said about 45% of Massachusetts homes are in or near wooded areas at risk for brush and wildland fires. Many of those fires have started with activity around the house, like outdoor cooking and using lawn tractors and other power equipment, he added.
veryGood! (763)
Related
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- UNC board slashes diversity program funding to divert money to public safety resources
- Waymo is latest company under investigation for autonomous or partially automated technology
- Avalanche lose key playoff piece as Valeri Nichushkin suspended for at least six months
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Ohio adult-use marijuana sales approved as part of 2023 ballot measure could begin by mid-June
- Actor Steve Buscemi randomly assaulted in Manhattan, publicist says
- Texas pizza delivery driver accused of fatally shooting man who tried to rob him: Reports
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Ryan Seacrest Teases Katy Perry’s American Idol Replacement
Ranking
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Apple Store workers in Maryland vote to authorize strike
- Michael Cohen to face bruising cross-examination by Trump’s lawyers
- Alabama follows DeSantis' lead in banning lab-grown meat
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Buccaneers make Antoine Winfield highest-paid DB in NFL with new contract
- Why Becca Tilley Kept Hayley Kiyoko Romance Private But Not Hidden
- California high schoolers awarded $1 million after 'blackface' claims linked to acne-mask photos
Recommendation
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
Tom Brady's NFL broadcast debut as Fox analyst will be Cowboys vs. Browns in Week 1
Why Becca Tilley Kept Hayley Kiyoko Romance Private But Not Hidden
Whoopi Goldberg Reveals She Lost Weight of 2 People Due to Drug Mounjaro
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
Whoopi Goldberg Reveals She Lost Weight of 2 People Due to Drug Mounjaro
Dallas Stars take commanding series lead vs. Colorado Avalanche with Game 4 win
Alabama follows DeSantis' lead in banning lab-grown meat