Current:Home > StocksAlgosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center-Jonathan Majors faces sentencing for assault conviction that derailed Marvel star’s career -NextFrontier Finance
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center-Jonathan Majors faces sentencing for assault conviction that derailed Marvel star’s career
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 19:40:51
NEW YORK (AP) — Actor Jonathan Majors is Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Centerscheduled to be sentenced Monday in a New York court for assaulting his former girlfriend, a conviction that has already derailed the once-rising star’s career.
The actor could be sentenced to a year in prison but could also just receive probation after a Manhattan jury in December found him guilty of misdemeanor assault.
Lawyers for Majors and Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg declined to say ahead of the hearing what punishment they’ll seek from a judge.
Following the guilty verdict, Majors was immediately dropped by Marvel Studios, which had cast him as Kang the Conqueror, a role envisioned as the main villain in the entertainment empire’s movies and television shows for years to come.
The conviction stems from an altercation in March 2023 in which Majors’ then-girlfriend Grace Jabbari accused him of attacking her in the backseat of a chauffeured car, saying he hit her head with his open hand, twisted her arm behind her back and squeezed her middle finger until it fractured.
Majors claimed the 31-year-old British dancer was the aggressor, flying into a jealous rage after reading a text message from another woman on his phone. He maintained he was only trying to regain his phone and escape Jabbari safely.
The jury ultimately convicted him of one assault charge and a harassment violation, though acquitted him on a different assault charge and of aggravated harassment.
Majors was originally slated to be sentenced in February, but his lawyers sought to dismiss the conviction. A Manhattan judge denied the motion last week.
Majors had hoped his two-week criminal trial would vindicate him and restore his status in Hollywood.
In a television interview shortly after his conviction, he said he deserves a second chance.
“As he eagerly anticipates closing this chapter, he looks forward to redirecting his time and energy fully toward his family and his art,” Majors’ lawyers said in a statement last week after losing their bid to have the conviction tossed out.
But the 34-year-old California native and Yale University graduate still faces other legal hurdles. Last month, Jabbari filed a civil suit in Manhattan federal court, accusing the actor of assault, battery, defamation and inflicting emotional distress.
She claims Majors subjected her to escalating incidents of physical and verbal abuse during their relationship, which lasted from 2021 to 2023.
Majors’ lawyers have declined to respond to the claims, saying only that they’re preparing to file counterclaims against Jabbari.
The actor had his breakthrough role in 2019’s “The Last Black Man in San Francisco.” He also starred in the HBO horror series “Lovecraft Country,” which earned him an Emmy nomination, and as the nemesis to fictional boxing champ Adonis Creed in the blockbuster “Creed III.”
As for Marvel, a looming question remains whether the studio will recast the role of Kang or pivot in a new direction.
Majors’ departure was among a recent series of high-profile setbacks for the vaunted superhero factory, which has earned an unprecedented $30 billion worldwide from 33 films.
___
Follow Philip Marcelo at twitter.com/philmarcelo
veryGood! (35755)
Related
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Father, daughter found dead at Canyonlands National Park after running out of water in 100-degree heat
- Nordstrom Anniversary Sale 2024 Deals That Are Sure To Sell Out: Shop Le Creuset, UGG, Longchamp & More
- Why Armie Hammer Says Being Canceled Was Liberating After Sexual Assault Allegations
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Own a home or trying to buy or sell one? Watch out for these scams
- Video captures chaotic moment when Trump reportedly shot on stage at rally
- 40 crews called to fight stubborn fire at Grand Rapids recycling center
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Top Florida GOP fundraiser launches GoFundMe for Trump rally shooting victims
Ranking
- Trump's 'stop
- Argentina wins record 16th Copa America title, beats Colombia 1-0 after Messi gets hurt
- Watch as Biden briefs reporters after Trump rally shooting: 'No place in America for this'
- Armie Hammer Details Why He Sold Timeshares in the Cayman Islands Amid Sexual Assault Allegations
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- At least 7 dead after separate shootings in Birmingham, Alabama, authorities say
- A journey through the films of Powell and Pressburger, courtesy of Scorsese and Schoonmaker
- Can cats have watermelon? How to safely feed your feline the fruit.
Recommendation
Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
Steven Stamkos on move: 'I never thought this day would come'
Lionel Messi brought to tears after an ankle injury during Copa America final
Own a home or trying to buy or sell one? Watch out for these scams
Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
Lightning-caused wildfire in an Arizona forest still uncontained, leads to some evacuation orders
Alec Baldwin thanks supporters for 'kindness' after dismissal of 'Rust' case
Why Armie Hammer Says Being Canceled Was Liberating After Sexual Assault Allegations