Current:Home > StocksTuohy family calls Michael Oher's legal action over 'Blind Side' a 'shakedown' attempt -NextFrontier Finance
Tuohy family calls Michael Oher's legal action over 'Blind Side' a 'shakedown' attempt
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-07 04:58:44
The Tuohy family is calling Michael Oher’s claims of deceit “outlandish” and “transparently ridiculous," while also alleging this is not the former football player's first attempt to bring legal action against them.
Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy declared in a prepared statement — co-authored by the couple and their legal team (Randy Fishman, Martin Singer and Steven Farese Sr.) and obtained by The Commercial Appeal on Tuesday — that the notion their family’s relationship with the former Briarcrest Christian, Ole Miss and NFL star was motivated by selfishness “hurtful and absurd.”
“It’s just sad and upsetting and distressful,” Farese told The Commercial Appeal, part of the USA TODAY Network, adding the family is “in the infancy of its defense.
“Right now, it’s more of a mental struggle for the Tuohys to have to withstand this initial wave. But, after the truth comes out, it’ll be pretty cut and dry.”
Oher filed a petition in Shelby County probate court Monday seeking to end the Tuohys' conservatorship of his name and financial dealings that helped his life story become a book and hit film. In 2009, “The Blind Side” — an Academy Award-nominated movie based on a book written by Michael Lewis — was released in theaters and made more than $300 million.
The petition said Oher — who was led to believe the 2004 papers he signed were necessary for the Tuohys to adopt him — never received money from the movie’s proceeds and that the Tuohys earned millions of dollars. The Tuohys said Tuesday they received “a small advance from the production company and a tiny percentage of net profits.”
How to cope with familial pain: Michael Oher, 'The Blind Side' scandal and when families fall apart
What's going on?'The Blind Side' subject Michael Oher's blockbuster lawsuit against Tuohy family explained
According to the petition, Oher was never adopted, and the Tuohys negotiated a one-time payment of $225,000 with 20th Century Fox, plus 2.5% of all "defined net proceeds" from the movie for themselves and their two natural-born children.
“The evidence — documented in profit participation checks and studio accounting statements — is clear: over the years, the Tuohys have given Mr. Oher an equal cut of every penny received from ‘The Blind Side,' " the Tuohys' statement reads.
The Tuohys also say this is not the first time Oher — whose most recent book, "When Your Back's Against the Wall: Fame, Football, and Lessons Learned through a Lifetime of Adversity" was published last week — has sought legal action against them.
“Unbeknownst to the public, Mr. Oher has actually attempted to run this play several times before — but it seems that numerous other lawyers stopped representing him once they saw the evidence and learned the truth,” the Tuohys' statement reads. “Sadly, Mr. Oher has finally found a willing enabler and filed this ludicrous lawsuit as a cynical attempt to drum up attention in the middle of his latest book tour.”
According to the Tuohys, Oher recently threatened them "about what he would do unless they paid him an eight-figure windfall."
“Even recently . . . (when Oher) refused to cash the small profit checks from the Tuohys, they still deposited Mr. Oher’s equal share into a trust account they set up for his son," the family's statement reads.
Opinion:‘The Blind Side’ story of Michael Oher is forever tainted – whatever version you believe
The Tuohys say they are "heartbroken" by the situation, would never oppose Oher if he wanted to end their conservatorship, and are willing to reconcile with Oher. But they “will not hesitate to defend their good names, stand up to this shakedown and defeat this offensive lawsuit.”
"I am disheartened by the revelation shared in the lawsuit today," Oher said in a prepared statement released Monday. "This is a difficult situation for my family and me. I want to ask everyone to please respect our privacy at this time. For now, I will let the lawsuit speak for itself and will offer no further comment."
Reach sports writer Jason Munz at [email protected] or on Twitter @munzly.
veryGood! (9918)
Related
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Shark bites 14-year-old boy's leg in attack at North Carolina beach
- Masked intruder pleads guilty to 2007 attack on Connecticut arts patron and fake virus threat
- These Swifties went viral for recreating Taylor Swift's album covers. Now they're giving back.
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Texas Roadhouse rolls out frozen bread rolls to bake at home. Find out how to get them.
- Massachusetts Senate debates bill to expand adoption of renewable energy
- No evidence new COVID variant LB.1 causes more severe disease, CDC says
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Detroit is banning gas stations from locking customers inside, a year after a fatal shooting
Ranking
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Justin Timberlake's arrest, statement elicited a cruel response. Why?
- Texas Roadhouse rolls out frozen bread rolls to bake at home. Find out how to get them.
- Taylor Swift appears to clap back at Dave Grohl after his Eras Tour remarks
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Newly released photos from FBI's Mar-a-Lago search show Trump keepsakes alongside sensitive records
- Who is... Alex Trebek? Former 'Jeopardy!' host to be honored with USPS Forever stamp
- Bear euthanized after 'causing minor injuries' at Gatlinburg park concession stand
Recommendation
Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
2024 Euros: 'Own goals' lead scorers in group stage
Why are the Texas Rangers the only MLB team without a Pride Night?
Newly released photos from FBI's Mar-a-Lago search show Trump keepsakes alongside sensitive records
Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
U.S. surgeon general declares gun violence a public health crisis
Where Todd Chrisley's Appeal Stands After Julie's Overturned Prison Sentence
Enough signatures collected to force recall election for Wisconsin GOP leader, commission says