Current:Home > InvestJohnathan Walker:Owners of Pulse nightclub, where 49 died in mass shooting, won’t be charged -NextFrontier Finance
Johnathan Walker:Owners of Pulse nightclub, where 49 died in mass shooting, won’t be charged
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-07 03:22:33
ORLANDO,Johnathan Walker Fla. (AP) — The Orlando Police Department has closed its investigation into the former owners of the Pulse nightclub without filing any charges. Victims’ families and survivors of the killing of 49 patrons at the LGBTQ-friendly club had asked law enforcement to investigate them for criminal culpability.
No charges will be filed against former owners Barbara and Rosario Poma because probable cause didn’t exist for involuntary manslaughter by culpable negligence, the Orlando police said this week in an emailed statement.
About two dozen people, mostly survivors and family members of those who died in the 2016 shooting, gave statements to investigators. They said that building plans weren’t available to first responders during the three hours hostages were held in the club and that unpermitted renovations and building modifications had occurred. They also maintained that the club was likely above capacity, that it had operated for years in violation of its conditional use permit, and that there were security and risk-management failures.
Despite efforts to reach the the Pomas, investigators weren’t able to interview them.
They determined that the lack of building plans didn’t hamper rescuers, that it was impossible to identify how many people were in the club that night, that the city of Orlando never took any action against Pulse when the nightclub changed its interior, and that there were too many unknowns about how gunman Omar Mateen entered.
None of the Pomas’ actions were done “with a reckless disregard for human life,” and “they could not have reasonably foreseen or anticipated a terrorist incident taking place at Pulse,” investigators wrote in a report.
Mateen opened fire during a Latin night celebration June 12, 2016, leaving 49 dead and 53 wounded. At the time, it was the worst mass shooting in modern U.S. history. Mateen, who had pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group, was killed after a three-hour standoff with police.
The Pulse shooting’s death toll was surpassed the following year when 58 people were killed and more than 850 injured among a crowd of 22,000 at a country music festival in Las Vegas.
The city of Orlando purchased the Pulse property last year for $2 million.
Before the Pomas and another businessperson sold the property, Barbara Poma was the executive director of the onePulse Foundation, the nonprofit that had been leading efforts to build a memorial and museum. The original project, unveiled in 2019 by the onePulse Foundation, called for a museum and permanent memorial costing $45 million. That estimate eventually soared to $100 million.
Barbara Poma stepped down as executive director in 2022 and left the organization entirely last year amid conflict-of-interest criticism over her stated desire to sell instead of donate the Pulse property.
The city has since outlined more modest plans for a memorial. The original idea for a museum has been jettisoned, and city leaders formed an advisory board to help determine what the memorial will look like.
___
Follow Mike Schneider on the social platform X: @MikeSchneiderAP
veryGood! (53488)
Related
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- 2 deputies injured and 1 suspect killed in exchange of gunfire in Minneapolis suburb
- Shooting at Ramadan event in West Philadelphia leaves 3 injured, 5 in custody, police say
- Kirsten Dunst says 5-year-old son helped her run lines for 'Civil War': 'No dark dialogue!'
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Water pouring out of rural Utah dam through 60-foot crack, putting nearby town at risk
- Costco now sells up to $200 million a month in gold and silver
- There's a new apple hybrid that's both 'firm and tasty.' And the public gets to name it
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Krispy Kreme, Kit Kat team up to unveil 3 new doughnut flavors available for a limited time
Ranking
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- How Ryan Gosling Fits Into Eva Mendes' Sprawling Family
- Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul: Promoter in talks to determine what is 'possible' for fight rules
- Shooting at Ramadan event in West Philadelphia leaves 3 injured, 5 in custody, police say
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- North Dakota woman who ran unlicensed day care gets nearly 19 years in prison after baby's death ruled a homicide
- 2 Nigerian brothers plead guilty to sexual extortion after death of Michigan teen
- 6 months into Israel-Hamas war, Palestinians return to southern Gaza city Khan Younis to find everything is destroyed
Recommendation
Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
‘Forever chemicals’ are found in water sources around New Mexico, studies find
Delta is changing how it boards passengers starting May 1
Arizona’s abortion ban is likely to cause a scramble for services in states where it’s still legal
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
How Ryan Gosling Fits Into Eva Mendes' Sprawling Family
Driver arrested after fleeing California crash that killed child, injured 4 other passengers
Fewer Americans file for jobless claims as labor market continues to shrug off higher interest rates