Current:Home > StocksOliver James Montgomery-Some schools reopen and garbage collection resumes in Japan’s areas hardest-hit by New Year’s quake -NextFrontier Finance
Oliver James Montgomery-Some schools reopen and garbage collection resumes in Japan’s areas hardest-hit by New Year’s quake
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 20:06:44
TOKYO (AP) — Two weeks after the deadly New Year’s Day earthquake struck Japan’s north-central region of Noto,Oliver James Montgomery some schools reopened and limited garbage collection resumed Monday in rare hopeful signs amid the devastation that thousands of people still face in the area.
The magnitude 7.6 earthquake on Jan. 1 killed at least 222 people and injured thousands. More than 20 are still missing.
About 20,000 people, most of whom had their homes damaged or destroyed, have been sheltering in nearly 400 school gymnasiums, community centers an other makeshift facilities, according to the central government and the Ishikawa prefecture disaster data released Monday.
Classes restarted at nearly 20 elementary, junior high and high schools Monday in some of the hardest-hit towns, including Wajima and Noto, and many students returned, but some, whose families were badly hit by the quake, were absent.
“I’m so glad to see you are back safely,” Keiko Miyashita, principal of the Kashima elementary school in the town of Wajima, on the northern coast of the Noto Peninsula, told schoolchildren.
Most of the schools in the prefecture have restarted but about 50 are indefinitely closed due to quake damage. At Ushitsu elementary school in the town of Noto, children gathered for just one hour Monday. Classes are to fully resume next week.
A part of a local train line through the town of Nanao also resumed Monday.
Garbage collectors were out for the first time since the quake in the town of Wajima, a relief for many who were increasingly worried about deteriorating sanitation.
But many residents remain without running water or electricity — more than 55,000 homes are without running water and 9,100 households have no electricity — and water pipe repairs could take months, officials said.
Prime Minister Fumio Kishida’s government has been criticized for being slow in providing relief, and though road damages and poor access to the peninsula were also blamed, some experts say officials may have underestimated the severity of the quake damage in their initial analysis.
During a visit Sunday to the region, Kishida pledged an additional 100 billion yen ($6.9 billion) for reconstruction, in addition to the 4.7 billion yen (about $32 million) in relief funds that his Cabinet had approved earlier in January.
In Wajima, 250 of about 400 students from three junior high schools used as evacuation centers for those whose homes were destroyed or damaged, are to temporarily relocate to a school in Hakusan, in southern Ishikawa, to continue classes there.
The quake inflicted much harm on local farming and fishing industries. Out of the prefecture’s 69 fishing ports, 58 were damaged while 172 fishing boats were washed away or damaged.
Emperor Naruhito, speaking at the ceremony Monday marking the 150th anniversary of the founding of the Tokyo metropolitan police, offered his first public condolences for the victims and their families.
Naruhito lauded the relief workers, including the Tokyo police, for their efforts. The emperor had earlier sent a message of sympathy to the Ishikawa governor. Monday’s appearance was his first this year since he canceled the annual Jan. 2 New Year public greeting event due to the quake.
veryGood! (43)
Related
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Jury hears ex-politician on trial for murder amassed photos, ID records about slain Vegas reporter
- US soldier indicted for lying about association with group advocating government overthrow
- University of Wisconsin president wants $855 million in new funding to stave off higher tuition
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- 'It's happening': Mike Tyson and Jake Paul meet face to face to promote fight (again)
- Woman missing for 4 days on spiritual hiking trip found alive in Colorado
- Buffalo Wild Wings unveils 'ultimate bacon menu' ahead of football season: See what's on it
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Lainey Wilson’s career felt like a ‘Whirlwind.’ On her new album, she makes sense of life and love
Ranking
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- DNC comes to 'Little Palestine' as Gaza deaths top 40,000
- 2 dead, at least 100 evacuated after flooding sweeps through Connecticut
- Barry Keoghan Snuggles Up With His “Charmer” Son Brando, 2, in Rare Photo
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- South Dakota Supreme Court denies bid to exclude ballots initially rejected from June election
- George Santos due in court, expected to plead guilty in fraud case, AP source says
- Oklahoma State to wear QR codes on helmets to assist NIL fundraising
Recommendation
As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
2 dead, at least 100 evacuated after flooding sweeps through Connecticut
University of Missouri student group ‘heartbroken’ after it was told to rename its Welcome Black BBQ
Powell may use Jackson Hole speech to hint at how fast and how far the Fed could cut rates
NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
The Most Unsettling Moments From Scott Peterson's Face to Face Prison Interviews
Charges dropped against man accused of fatally shooting a pregnant woman at a Missouri mall
Shooting at a gathering in Baltimore leaves 1 dead and 7 others wounded, police say